The IBS postgraduate bursary is intended for full-time studies at any South African public university. Bursaries are available for Honours, Master’s and PhD studies in science and technology-related subjects.
The Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and the Council for
Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) invite applications for a bursary
under the DSI-CSIR Inter-Bursary Support (IBS) Programme grant scheme.
The IBS postgraduate bursary is intended for full-time studies at any South
African public university.
For Master’s or doctoral applicants, the bursary support is restricted to the following research areas:
- Biotechnology (biopharming, bioprocessing or biocatalysis)
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS)
- Information and communications technology
- Modelling and digital sciences
- Microsystems technology
- Titanium (manufacturing elements of)
Honours and BTech Bursary
For applications towards honours, fourth year in engineering or BTech studies, you may apply if your major subjects are in science, engineering and technology. For example:
- Biotechnology and related majors
- Computer science
- Data science or ICT-related majors
- Engineering and related majors
- Health (biochemistry, microbiology, pharmaceutical sciences, biomedical
- sciences, etc.)
- Information systems
- Mathematics/applied maths/statistics
The value of the bursary per annum is:
Honours R75 000 / Master’s R100 000 / PhD R130 000
Application and Eligibility
The eligible age for applicants is between 20 and 32 years.
Application forms and more information about the IBS postgraduate bursary can be obtained from the Postgraduate Funding Office/Research Office of each of the public universities. Please complete the application forms and send them (preferably in pdf format) with supporting attachments via email to the IBS administrator at HCD-INTERBURSARY@csir.co.za.